Acklam Hall, the only Grade 1 listed building in Middlesbrough, is a beautiful venue for weddings, events, dining, serviced office accommodation and conference facilities. A new beginning for a building with a long and interesting history.
For more than two hundred years Acklam Hall was the home of the Hustler family. Since 1935 it has been, in various guises, a place of learning and is fondly remembered by the people of Middlesbrough. William Hustler purchased the country estate close to the River Tees from Sir Matthew Boynton in 1637, for his trading as a cloth merchant. The Hall retains many of the original architectural features created when it was built in 1683, as well as features added just over 100 years ago by Walter Brierley.
Over the following two hundred years Acklam Hall was occupied by successive generations of the Hustler family. Thomas Hustler, who was closely involved in the early development of Middlesbrough, carried out significant alterations in 1845. The Hall as we see it now owes much to the alterations carried out by the wonderfully-named William Hustler Hustler, who hoped to make it more suitable for an Edwardian family. However, less than ten years later, the Hustlers departed the Hall and it was sold to Middlesbrough Corporation in 1928.
Acklam Hall began its new life as a seat of learning in September 1935, opening as a Grammar School for boys. Over subsequent decades the Hall was extended and developed to accommodate changing educational needs.
In more recent times the Hall has been a sixth-form college and part of Middlesbrough College, until the latter vacated the site in 2008 to move to new purpose-built premises.
Now, following restoration and development, Acklam Hall enters a new chapter in its long history